According to ABCNews, law enforcement officials have arrested a U.S. soldier who had gone missing from Fort Campbell in Kentucky. Officials say that the soldier, Naser Jason Abdo, was planning an attack on Fort Hood, the site of a 2009 terrorist attack by Major Nidal Hassan.
And yes, if you're wondering, Abdo is a Muslim.
Abdo, 21, allegedly told law enforcement he was targeting the base to "get even," according to law enforcement documents obtained by ABC News. The soldier had gone AWOL over the July 4 weekend from Fort Campbell's 101st Airborne Division in Kentucky over 800 miles away, according to a senior military officer.
Abdo first made news in 2010 when he was seeking conscientious objector status, when his unit was deploy to Afghanistan after coming to the conclusion that the war in Afghanistan was an "unjust" war.
The Secretary of the Army approved Abdo's request for conscientious objector status, then two days later child pornography was found on Abdo's laptop.
At the time he went missing from Fort Campbell, Abdo was facing a court-martial for the pornography.
It's too early to make a determination as to what propelled Abdo to plan an attack against Fort Hood - the court-martial, his faith, or something else. But coming less than two years after the massacre at Fort Hood, I expect Abdo will face probing questions about the relationship between his faith and the planned attack.
In an interview last year with HLN's Mike Galanos, Abdo said the following.
"Islam is much more peaceful and tolerant religion than it is an aggressive religion." If these allegations of a planned attack prove true, "peaceful and tolerant" will take on a whole new meaning.
"I don't believe that Islam allows me to operate in any kind of warfare at all." Does that include warfare against your fellow soldiers?
"I believe that our duty first as Muslims is to serve God."
Here's the entire interview.