American Family Association (AFA) a non-profit 501(c3) organization was founded in 1977 by Donald E. Wildmon, who was pastoring First United Methodist Church in Southaven, Mississippi, at the time. Since 1977, AFA has been on the frontlines of America’s culture war. The original name of the ministry was National Federation for Decency but was changed to American Family Association (AFA) in 1988.
Today, AFA is led by AFA President Tim Wildmon and one of the largest and most effective pro-family organizations in the country with hundreds of thousands of online supporters.
Other divisions of AFA include:
- AFA Journal – is a print publication of American Family Association, published monthly except July/August. Subscribe here for a one year free subscription.
- American Family Radio – A division of AFA, the American Family Radio Network is approximately 200 radio stations strong reaching into 39 states with the Gospel along with news and information equipping families to stand firm for Christ in a post-Christian culture.
- OneNewsNow.com - ONN is a Christian news service that exists to present the day's stories from a biblical perspective. We not only feature the latest breaking stories from across the United States and around the world, but also news of the challenges facing Christians in today's society. At OneNewsNow.com, you will get your news from reporters you can trust to give the latest news without the liberal bias that characterizes so much of the "mainstream" media. On the website, subscribe to the free daily email news brief.
- OneMillionMoms.com – Directed by Monica Cole, a movement of Moms that rallies Christian activists to contact companies asking them to drop their advertising from objectionable TV shows. Sign up today for OneMillionMoms.com.
- Urban Family Communications – As a division of AFA, Urban Family Communications is a multi-media communications network and outreach ministry. UFC is born from the conviction that the Black community deserves truth, more specifically, Biblical truth. We are a collection of people operating in ministry, media, and politics who are committed to one goal: the spiritual revitalization of urban communities.
- Repairing The Foundations – AFA’s outreach to the local pastor at RepairingTheFoundations.net. We want to encourage the pastor with information, resources and events that can be helpful to them and their families. Sign up today for RepairingTheFoundations.net.
- AFA Online Store – AFA’s online store has a variety of ministry resources for home and church.
- ThomasStreetCoffee.com – Great Coffee for The Great Commission - It’s hard to imagine that something as common as coffee can help share the gospel of Christ with unreached people. At Thomas Street Coffee, every bean is picked, roasted, packaged and delivered with that goal in mind. TSC purchases beans from farmers in Ethiopia, Uganda, Honduras, Indonesia and other countries where 40% of unreached people groups live. Through strategic partnerships, those purchases contribute to evangelistic efforts, schools, libraries, medical facilities, women’s literacy programs, clean water wells, church planting, financial instruction and agricultural education. Sign up today for the free newsletter on the website.
- The AFA Foundation - AFA Foundation exists to help individuals and families leave a legacy that lasts for generations through bequests, charitable gift annuities, trusts and wills. Your charitable gifts help AFA continue its thirty-three plus year effort to stem the tide of secularism in our culture and to rebuild our Christian foundations.
AFA uses all these means to communicate an outspoken, resolute, Christian voice throughout America.
The mission of the American Family Association is to inform, equip, and activate individuals to strengthen the moral foundations of American culture, and give aid to the church here and abroad in its task of fulfilling the Great Commission.
The American Family Association believes that God has communicated absolute truth to mankind, and that all people are subject to the authority of God’s Word at all times. Therefore AFA believes that a culture based on biblical truth best serves the well-being of our nation and our families, in accordance with the vision of our founding documents; and that personal transformation through the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the greatest agent of biblical change in any culture.
The American Family Association acts to:
(1) restrain evil by exposing the works of darkness;
(2) promote virtue by upholding in culture that which is right, true and good according to Scripture;
(3) convince individuals of sin and challenge them to seek Christ’s grace and forgiveness;
(4) motivate people to take a stand on cultural and moral issues at the local, state and national levels; and
(5) encourage Christians to bear witness to the love of Jesus Christ as they live their lives before the world.
To that end, AFA spurs activism directed to:
- Preservation of Marriage and the Family
- Decency and Morality
- Sanctity of Human Life
- Media Integrity
We believe in holding accountable companies that sponsor programs attacking traditional family values. We also believe in commending those companies that act responsibly regarding programs they support.
It is AFA’s goal to be a champion of Christian activism. If you are alarmed by the increasing ungodliness and depravity assaulting our nation, tired of cursing the darkness, and ready to light a bonfire, please join us. Do it for your children and grandchildren.
1. We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
2. We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
4. We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
5. We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
6. We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
7. We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
The impact of AFA on pro-family issues is recognized nationwide. AFA spokespersons have appeared on programs such as ABC's Good Morning America, World News Tonight, and Nightline; Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor, Hannity & Colmes, and Fox News Live; NBC's Today Show and Meet the Press; MSNBC's Deborah Norville Tonight and Countdown with Keith Olbermann; CNN's Lou Dobbs Tonight, Anderson Cooper 360, Wolf Blitzer Reports, Talk Back Live, American Morning, and Crossfire; CBN's The 700 Club; TBN's Praise the Lord; INSP's Inspiration Today; and the BBC.
AFA spokespersons have been quoted in publications such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, The Washington Times, Chicago Tribune, Mediaweek, Advertising Age, TIME, Newsweek, WORLD, Christianity Today, and numerous other media outlets. They also are frequent guests on national and international radio programs including the BBC, National Public Radio (NPR), and Voice of America.
Advertising Age listed Donald Wildmon in its December 2004 "Book of Tens" as one of the top "10 Who Made a Mark on Marketing." He was named among other high-profile figures such as Karl Rove, Mel Gibson, and Mark Burnett. Advertising Age, Crain's international newspaper of marketing, serves as a widely recognized source for the latest information to over 198,000 advertising, marketing, and media professionals.
AFA is a long-time member of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability. In 2013, the AFA received a seventh consecutive four-star rating from Charity Navigator (CN), an independent watchdog organization which monitors nonprofit groups. Click here to see article.
Highlights of AFA’s recent accomplishments include:
AFA and 2012 - A year of accomplishments for the family
- Your actions and prayers were answered as AFA celebrated the release of Pastor Youcef Nardarkhan from prison and reunited with his family in 2012!
- When homosexual activists blasted Chick-fil-A for supporting traditional marriage, AFA responded by promoting "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" on August 1. The company enjoyed a record-setting day in sales.
- After exposing JC Penney’s Father's Day and Mother's Day ads featuring homosexual "marriages," the company quickly backed away from their pro-gay-marriage promotions. The company's stock price fell over 50% in less than four months time.
- ABC network dropped the highly controversial and Christian-bashing show "GCB" after AFA influenced advertisers to flee from the show.
- The Home Depot boycott has reached over 750,000 signatures. AFA presented the petitions to the company at its annual shareholder meeting in June.
- Sears responded to the AFA Action Alert by updating filtering equipment and enforcing strict guidelines to prevent sexually explicit products being available on their websites.
- AFA helped put more than 62,000 Bibles into the hands of students who promised to share them with friends during the "Truth for Youth" Bible campaign.
- AFA distributed the AFA Voter Guide, the nation's most comprehensive (with information gathered on over 6,000 candidates) and complete guide available for the 2012 election.
- Hundreds of schools canceled "Mix It Up" day after AFA Action Alert asked parents to contact their public school administrators about the gay-advancing promotion.
- AFA continued to expose AARP. Part of their membership fees or profits are used to advocate same-sex marriage, homosexual adoption, repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" military policy and special rights for immoral behavior.
- AFA launched its annual Christmas "Naughty or Nice" listing of national retailers and how they use or ban "Christmas" in their advertising. The list gets millions of website hits and has been covered by national news outlets.
- AFA supported Hobby Lobby's legal challenge to Obamacare.
WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?
There is much you can do.
Pray daily for this ministry and our country.
Get informed. Sign up to join our mailing lists. We will keep you informed on the battles going on, as well as how you can help. To see past AFA Action Alerts, click here.
Consider making a financial gift. We promise to be good stewards of what ever gift you can give