We still believe Target doesn't value the safety of families because they've refused to reverse this dangerous policy.
- AFA President Tim Wildmon
Target allows men to use the same restroom and changing rooms as women and little girls. More than 1.4 million people have signed the pledge to boycott until the retail giant changes its policy.
Since April, Target's stock has dropped twenty percent in value from $84 per share to $67 per share.
Target has released dismal second quarter earnings which included the time-period in which the boycott began. A few key takeaways, according to a report from Market Watch:
- Target (TGT), stock dropped dramatically in premarket trading on Wednesday
- For the quarter that ended July 30, earnings fell to $680 million, or $1.16 a share, from $753 million, or $1.18 a share, in the same period a year ago
- Revenue fell 7.2% to $16.17 billion
- Same-store sales declined 1.1%
AFA has met with Target on two occasions, once at their corporate headquarters and once at their annual shareholder meeting. We still believe Target doesn't value the safety of families because they've refused to reverse this dangerous policy. Consequently, since Target refuses to address our concerns, the boycott will continue.
You can see examples of what Target's dangerous policy can and has led to at www.afa.net/target.
After seeing Target's latest earnings report, the retailer can't afford to have millions of families shopping with their competitors. The privacy and protection of women and children is important and that is why we will continue to stand against Target for its reckless policy.
We encourage you to continue to put the pressure on Target by:
- Signing the #BoycottTarget pledge if you haven’t done so already and encourage family and friends to sign the pledge, too.
- Printing AFA's "Pass-Along sheet" to share with family, friends, neighbors and others.
- Sharing the boycott information on social media and be sure to use #BoycottTarget
- Voicing concerns on Target's Facebook page.
If our mission resonates with you, please consider supporting our work financially with a tax-deductible donation. The easiest way to do that is through online giving. It is easy to use, and most of all, it is secure.