Our first focus must be to cry out to God for His mercy on our nation...
- Jeremy Wiggins
For the first time since 2001, the GOP has won 2 out of the 3 branches of government, with a chance to largely influence the third with an immediate appointment, and possibly a couple others over the next several years. We now have an opportunity to insist on course corrections for our country. However, I am only mildly optimistic this can be accomplished, despite platform promises. Here is what I (and other conservatives) think should happen soon.
- We need an immediate call to abolish the barbaric practice of abortion. Period. No exceptions. We need to be rid of this stain on our country once and for all. All life is sacred, and all people are image bearers of the living God, regardless of the circumstances surrounding conception. The exception mandate is nothing more than a back door for abortion mills to keep operating at taxpayer expense. The cases of rapes and incest that occur are also not being accurately being reported by groups like Planned Parenthood, who use their power to suppress women and minorities and make them feel that without abortion as an option, they are somehow less than free.
- We need DOMA (the Defense of Marriage Act) again. We cannot supplant God’s law just because a few unelected officials decide that marriage includes everything and anything.
- We need a solid religious freedom statute in this country. Real persecution to the extent that our brothers and sisters in the Middle East are facing has not yet come to America, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t do everything in our power to stave off the coming night.
- We need an immediate repeal and replace of Obamacare. Good people are struggling under the weight of a juggernaut law that does nothing to better lives. What good is medical insurance if you can’t afford to go to the doctor? Rising health care costs are crippling our economy, and bringing job creation to a standstill. Sure, more people have health insurance, but only because it is now mandatory. We need less nanny-state regulations in America and more economic freedom.
- Every single unlawful executive order the President Obama signed into law needs to be removed from the books, deleted faster than Hillary’s emails. These would include the unlawful Paris Climate Treaty, which was never ratified by Congress, and the equally horrible/unlawful Iran Nuclear Deal. Basically, we want a do-over for the last 8 years.
- We want the Internet back, and not just for funny baby or cat videos, but we want control again. Do you really want some other socialist or communist country controlling our freedom of speech on the World Wide Web?
- We are 20 trillion dollars in the hole. We cannot sustain this type of spending. Our children and our grandchildren cannot be expected to pay for this generation is spending for itself. We need a balanced budget, and an immediate reduction in spending. The size of the bloated beast (aka our federal government) needs to decrease.
- We need the removal of EPA mandates that have made the cost of energy production in America increase because it places the burden of paying for these cost increases squarely on the consumer who has no choice. Careful stewardship of the planet’s resources is a wonderful and great idea, but when poor people can’t heat their homes, we have a problem, and it isn’t up to the government to hand out money to fix these issues.
- It is time to stop gun running in other nations. The interventionist policies of the past are not working, and it is time to move on to something new. Show me a nation where supporting rebels with weapons has worked for us, and I’ll show you Iran, Cuba, and Libya. What happens with this current strategy of intervention, which has been around since the Korean War, is that either we end up staying forever, like we did in South Korea, or we abandon the people and ISIS moves in (Iraq). We need a new strategy, period.
Even if this wish list of political solutions occurs in the Trump Administration, we must not fool ourselves into thinking that will automatically make America great again. Political accomplishments, personal wealth, and a high stock index mean absolutely nothing to a nation under the judgment of a holy God. Our first focus must be to cry out to God for His mercy on our nation, pleading with Him to send a true revival to undeserving America. We must also be much more intentional about spreading the Gospel, reclaiming lost ground the church has ceded, and loving our neighbors more than we love ourselves.
This is not the time to go back to sleep. We must be vigilant and attentive to God.