Target Persists in Putting Women and Children at Risk
The retail giant recently publicized its policy to allow self-identifying transgender individuals access to store bathrooms and fitting rooms that correspond with their own gender identity, thus allowing easy access for predators and voyeurs who are outside the transgender community to put women and children in harm’s way.
“Despite some efforts to distract America’s attention away from Target’s dangerous bathroom policy, the fact remains that any man who says he identifies as a woman can gain access to the women’s fitting room and restroom, putting women and children at risk,” said AFA President Tim Wildmon. “More than 1.2 million Americans have signed the #BoycottTarget pledge, and the number is growing every minute. Mothers, fathers and families across the country are concerned, frustrated and outraged that the retail giant would publicize a policy that opens the door to those with evil intentions who would take advantage of this access.”
Some comments from concerned citizens on AFA’s Facebook page include:
- “I for one will NOT be shopping at Target....it simply is not safe to have men in the ladies bathroom with our children.....”
- “TARGET this was a REALLY bad move on your part. MEN cannot be allowed in a womans bathroom when we have young girls at risk and quite frankly the pedophiles will take advantage of this too. Shame on you Target!”
- “Count my friends and family into boycotting Target stores until Target executives come to their senses and do the moral and safe thing for our young girls and women.”
- “No men should be in ladies bathroom or dressing areas and I will not shop at Target for supporting this.”
AFA is also drawing attention to news stories detailing what Target’s policy could lead to; visit https://www.afa.net/action-alerts/sign-the-boycott-target-pledge/ to view the headlines.
AFA is asking concerned Americans to take action in the #BoycottTarget campaign in several ways:
- Sign the #BoycottTarget pledge online.
- Print the paper petition to distribute among friends and family members.
- Print this AFA Pass Along Sheet to distribute among friends and family.
- Call Target and politely let local managers know you are boycotting the store until policies change and how a boycott of this magnitude will hurt business. Find local Target store phone numbers here.
- Share your concerns on the Target Facebook page. When sharing on social media, use #BoycottTarget to help spread the word.
AFA’s #BoycottTarget initiative has garnered widespread media attention, as AFA continues to maintain that while the Target policy aims to be welcoming to the transgender community, it opens the door for predators and voyeurs who would take advantage of such a policy.