Why Should I Read and Meditate On God’s Word Daily?
Why ask this question? Why is it an issue? Well,we live in a busy world. We are all “running” everyday. We all have lots to do. We all have full schedules. We each have a set of priorities. Each of us can say, “I’m a very busy person.”
We each set our own schedules. We each decide what we will do. We each “choose to do what we want to do each day”.
Well, in the busyness of life, why should we read God’s Word daily? Why is it important to make it a priority to open God’s Word and spend time reading His Word everyday? And why is it important to read a significant portion rather than only a scripture or two a day? Well, let me explain.
The Word of God is food for our spirit. Some believers don’t seem to realize that we really do need to feed our spirit, similarly to how we need to feed our physical bodies. In view of this reality, some believers feed their spirit very poorly, and very inconsistently. For that reason there are too many believers that are basically “spiritually anemic” - weak, unreliable, easily defeated – spiritually.
Too many believers “nibble”on the Word of God when they need to be eating “good, wholesome, and nourishing meals” of God’s Word. It appears that too many believers seem to live a “fasted” lifestyle when it comes to God’s Word. Yet, when it comes to God’s Word, you should NEVER fast.
Every believer needs a daily “diet” of God’s Word. We should read And meditate on God’s Word every day. Reading 3 chapters in the Bible everyday is a good basic “diet” to begin with.
When we read the Word of God everyday, many very important things happen to us spiritually. We grow closer to God, we grow in our knowledge and understanding of God, and we are empowered in the things of God.
As we read and think on God’s Word, the Word and the Holy Spirit together are working on us. They are molding and shaping us to become more and more like Christ. As we spend time reading God’s Word, the Word
“programs” us to think and walk and act more and more like Christ.
Daily as we read God’s Word, we are empowered in the things of God. Also, we are washed anew by the cleansing power of God’s Word (Eph. 5). As we read, we are nourished in the things of God, and we grow in the grace and knowledge of God (II Peter 3:18).
Take time to pray and ask God to help you begin the discipline or habit of reading God’s Word everyday. Once you begin this habit, it will be one of the most productive habits or disciplines of your whole life.
“Your Word is a Lamp to my feet, and a Light to my path.” Psalm 119:105
Eleven Excellent Reasons You should Read the Word of God Everyday
1) It tells you how to be genuinely saved and how to grow up in your faith. John 3:16, Psalm 119:105, Romans 12:1, 2, and Phil. 4:6,7
2) It gives you clear guidance and direction for much of your life. Psalm 119:105
3) It empowers your prayer life. Phil. 4:6,7
4) It sharpens your ability to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit more and more clearly in your life. I Corinthians 1:5
5) It ministers to your mind, body, and spirit. Proverbs 4:20 - 22
6) It helps you to maintain your mental health, (according to Dr. Paul Meier) Prov. 4.
7) It increases the anointing on every area of your life. I Corinthians 1:5
8) It increases your wisdom in every area of your life. Proverbs 1 - 4
9) It enhances your intellect and your personality. (It can literally increase your I.Q.) I Corinthians 1:5 10) It pours grace, joy, and peace into your spirit, your mind and your life. II Cor. 1:2, I Timothy 1:2, and II Timothy 1:2, and Galatians
11) In direct statement or in principle, it gives you guidance and/or direction about every issue or topic in life. Psalm 119:105
Seven Things we should seek to do with the Word of God everyday.
1) Read It. * Remember!
2) Hear It. Reading 3 chapters in the Bible
3) Believe It. daily will bless you a lot!
4) Speak It.
5) Obey It.
6) Pray It.
7) Meditate On It.
If you would like to know Jesus Christ personally, and would like to invite Him into your heart, pray this or a similar prayer in order to make that step: Lord Jesus, I believe you are the Son of God. I recognize that I have sinned and done wrong. Forgive me of all the wrong I have done. I do believe that You died on the cross to pay for my sins, and I believe that three days later You rose from the dead, so that I could be saved. Thank you Lord, for loving me enough to die for me. Lord Jesus, come into my heart. Become my Lord and Savior. Make me the person you want me to be. You said in your Word, that whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. Right now Lord, I ‘m calling on your name. Lord Jesus, save me and fill me with Your Holy Spirit. Thank you Lord for saving me, and I now confess I am a child of God. In Jesus’ name. Amen.