"King James! King James and nothing else!" His words were firm and determined. This gentleman was emphatic that the only translation of the Bible that was authentic and to be followed was the King James translation. He went on and on "preaching" from his point of view about the virtues of the "only" legitimate translation of the Bible. Finally, I asked him "Well, do you read the King James translation of the Bible regularly?" There was a pause, and then the response was "Well, no, but King James is the only 'real' Bible translation!" Well, the King James Bible is a good translation to read. But there are many other good translations. Dr. Woodrow Kroll said that the best translation of the Bible is the one you will read! There is a lot of wisdom in that statement. Please take it to heart and strive to make a goal of reading three chapters in the Bible daily as it will bless your life a lot!
While it is good to reverence the word of God, it is much better to read and obey its teachings. Do you say you believe and honor the Scriptures? If you do, then you should read and live by them! We live in a world where lip service to God doesn’t really accomplish much. But believers who are both hearers and doers of the Word of God accomplish great things. "But be doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves" (James 1:22). Also, please remember that “Your Word is a Lamp to my feet, and a Light to my path” (Psalm 119:105).
Here are eleven excellent reasons you should read the word of God everyday:
- It tells you how to be genuinely saved and how to grow in your faith. John 3:16, Psalm 119:105, Romans 12:1, 2, and Phil. 4:6; 7
- It gives you clear guidance and direction for your life. Psalm 119:105
- It empowers your prayer life. Phil. 4:6l 7
- It sharpens your ability to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit more and more clearly. I Corinthians 1:5
- It ministers to your mind, body, and spirit. Proverbs 4:20 - 22
- It helps you to maintain your mental health, (according to Dr. Paul Meier) Prov. 4.
- It increases the anointing on every area of your life. I Corinthians 1:5
- It increases your wisdom in every area of your life. Proverbs 1 - 4
- It enhances your intellect and your personality. (It can literally increase your I.Q.) I Corinthians 1:5
- It pours grace, joy, and peace into your spirit, your mind and your life. II Cor. 1:2, I Timothy 1:2, and II Timothy 1:2, and Galatians 5: direction 22
- In direct statement or in principle, it gives you guidance and/or direction about every issue or topic in life. Psalm 119:105
What then is the best translation of the Bible? I agree with Dr. Kroll. The best translation of the Bible is the accurate translation of the Word of God that you will read and obey.