Your Word is a Lamp to my feet and a Light to my path (Psalm 119:105).
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12).
Practicing daily spiritual habits are necessary in our daily walk with the Lord. Why? Because followers of Christ are to be passionately faithful.
In life, we form habits to help us consistently do things that are important to us. Habits that help us accomplish the goals we believe are critical to our lives.
I regularly encourage believers to set a goal of reading at least three chapters in God’s Word every day. This habit is one of the most important to establish.
Why three chapters and why every day?
If a believer reads three chapters in the Word of God every day, that can be a basic spiritual meal. It might be that you read the same chapter three times or you may read three different chapters. Doing either is fruitful and wise.
How is this helpful? The Word of God is Jesus and Jesus is the Word of God. So when you are reading the Word of God, it is one on one time talking and spending time with Jesus. It’s your daily appointment time with Him.
The Lord Jesus will spend as much time with you as you will spend with Him in His Word.
It is important for us to read the Word every day. Just as our bodies need physical food every day, so too must we feed our spirits daily as well.
God’s Word is food for our spirits like physical food is food for our physical bodies.
Feeding your physical body every day can help you to be strong, vibrant, and healthy. Feeding your spirit the Word of God daily can help you to be strong, vibrant, and spiritually healthy.
Now, if a man or woman only ate a small snack once every other day, very soon he or she would grow physically weak. Likewise, when a believer only reads a verse or two from the Word God every day or every other day, he or she will become spiritually weak.
Sadly, it appears that too many believers live on what you could call a “starvation diet” spiritually. It is spiritual neglect. Too many believers may not even pick up a Bible for days.
It is for this reason that many believers are spiritually anemic – spiritually weak and frail.
My suggestion to you is – TODAY start the habit of reading three chapters in the Word of God daily. It’s a way of blessing (Psalm 1:1–3) and rewarding yourself (Genesis 15:1).
Why not start rewarding yourself – today?
Here are ten great reasons to start reading God’s Word daily:
- It tells you how to be genuinely saved and how to grow up in your faith. (John 3:16; Ps. 119:105; Rom. 12:1,2; Phil. 4:6-7)
- It gives you clear guidance and direction for your life. (Ps. 119:105; 2 Tim. 3:15–17)
- It empowers your prayers. (Phil. 4:6-7)
- It sharpens your ability to hear the Holy Spirit more clearly. (1 Cor. 1:5)
- It ministers to your mind, body, and spirit. (Prov. 4:20-22)
- It helps you maintain your mental health. (According to Dr. Paul Meier).
- It increases the anointing in every area of your life. (1 Cor. 1:5)
- It increases your wisdom in every area of your life. (Prov. 1–3)
- It enhances your intellect and personality. (It can literally increase your I.Q.) (1 Cor. 1:5)
- It pours grace, peace, mercy, and joy into your spirit, your mind, and your life. (2 Cor. 1:2, 1 Tim. 1:2; 2 Tim. 1:2; Gal. 5:22)
Reading 3 chapters a day from the Word of God will bless you tremendously. Let’s make it a high priority. And parents, we are wise to have our children read three chapters out loud to us every day also. It will greatly bless them, you, and your home.